About Us

Jefferson General Store

113 E. Austin St.
Jefferson, TX
75657

 

Hours:

Sun - Thurs (9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m)

Fri - Sat (9:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.)

 

Welcome Visitors

  • Step through our front door and step back in time.  This store has served East Texas as a hardware Store and a General Store since the 1870's.  Enjoy the authentic atmoshpere, put a nickel in the juke box, sip on a root beer float, play a game of checkers and cool your heels.  We have lots of neat stuff to look at and buy..... 5 cent Coffee, Soda fountain, handmade Pecan Pralines, Blue Bell Ice Cream, Old-Time Candy Counter, Texas Jams, Jellies, and Salsas, Texas Souvenirs, Old Time toys, T-Shirts, Hats & Caps, Candles, Texas Music, Books, Greeting Cards, Antiques, and Lots More. "Bring the kids and have some fun!"
  • History of the Jefferson General Store

Built in the 1860's, the building where the Jefferson General Store currently resides has a long history of serving the people of Jefferson.  In the 1860's Rudolph Ballauf used the building as the first hardware store in the burgeoning riverport town.  The Ballauf's also owned three cotton "packets" ( a class of riverboats), including one called "The Friendly".  The location of the building was ideal because it was near a turning basin for the riverboats.  One lasting remnant of the Ballauf's tenure is the large cast iron safe that we still use to this day.

Rudolph Ballauf had four daughters who helped run the store and one son.  Near the turn of the century Rudolph's daughter, Emma and her husband Eugene Meyer Senior took over the store.  The Meyer's had five sons: Ernie, Eugene, Asa, Freddie, and Paul.  The stores name was changed to "Eugene Meyer & Son Hardware".  They ran the store until 1977.

   Striving to continue serving our customers, Cliff & Anna Bode have kept the authentic atmosphere of this old hardware store while providing new & exciting products for all ages.